The Gig Harbor area offers much for individuals who want a more carefree lifestyle in their retirement years. The number of options and opportunities in the area continues to grow as people discover Gig Harbor’s waterfront charm combined with modern health facilities and diverse community opportunities. In fact, in 2016, SmartAsset.com ranked Gig Harbor as the best place in Washington State to retire! (In case you’re wondering, Sequim came in second.)
Within the Gig Harbor community, retirees will have no trouble finding opportunities for recreational and volunteer activities and interests of all kinds:
- Residents can make new friends or meet up with old ones over coffee; the downtown waterfront has several scenic and lively options.
- They can also join local groups such as the Active Retirement & Senior Club of Gig Harbor, a membership-based organization offering a full slate of recreational and cultural activities, from woodcarving and Tai Chi to card games and Bingo.
- Many retired residents also enjoy the all-ages, fitness-oriented environment at the Tom Taylor Family YMCA in Gig Harbor North. There they can meet friends for a latte, take a walk indoors, make waves in a water aerobics class, or volunteer and become part of the fun and dynamic community.
- A significant number enjoy volunteering their talents and expertise to one of the community’s thriving service clubs, churches, and volunteer organizations. Some help their neighbors by organizing a food drive for FISH Food Bank, mentoring school-age children, or donating their time at one of many local nonprofits.
- Lifelong learners who want to keep abreast of current issues can take a classes through Tacoma Community College, the new Harbor Institute, or PenMet Parks. And the Gig Harbor Welcome Club, not just for newcomers, is a social organization with a long list of fun, group activities such as computers, bridge, tennis, and book clubs.
And when active retirees want to venture beyond Gig Harbor’s relative peace and quiet, opportunities for outings abound: the big city amenities of Seattle and Tacoma, or the unsurpassed beauty of coastal communities and mountainous national parks. These are all within easy reach . . . now that you have the time!
SmartSize Your Move with the Doug Lawrence Real Estate Team
Some moves require some extra thought, preparation, and execution. Retirement and the downsizing that invariably goes with it constitute one of those transitions. We like to call it “smartsizing.”
The Doug Lawrence Real Estate Team has worked with many clients in this unique season of life. We offer consulting on streamlining, organizing, storage, selling, “re-distribution,” and even disposal of your stuff. Whether you have valuable heirlooms and treasures requiring careful thought and handling, or a lot of extra belongs that just need to go, we can help hands-on or refer you to a proven network of professionals who can provide the services you need.
Don’t let the thought of downsizing overwhelm you; freedom is closer than you think!
For more information on SmartSizing your move to Gig Harbor, contact Doug Lawrence at email@example.com